Languages (22 items)
- Actionscript 3
Frameworks (18 items)
- Adobe Flex
- Jakarta Struts
- Apache Synapse
Operating Systems (5 items)
- Linux (Arch, Debian/Ubuntu, RHEL)
- MacOS X
Tools & Technologies (40 items)
- AWS EMR
- AWS S3
- AWS Lambda
- AWS EC2
- AWS DynamoDB
- Chrome / Webkit dev tools
- Responsive Web Design
- IntelliJ IDEA
- Apache Webserver
- Web Services
- SOAP / WSDL
- Lucene Search Engine
- MS SQL Server
DAT Solutions is the leading provider of spot-market load boards to the over-the-road freight industry.
- As one of two architects contributing to the project, architected a rebuild of the company's core freight-matching engine, a real-time forward- and reverse-search system for the fast-moving freight load and truck availability market, targeting an industry-leading design end-to-end latency of less than five seconds peak and one to two seconds average, based on Kafka Streams with Redis Streams providing fan-out to consumers over SSE+HTTP2 as the “last mile” for push-mode realtime status updates.
- Implemented a full-volume simulation of production traffic to prove the viability of Kafka distributing to Redis streams as distribution strategy for outgoing update events.
- Contributed to implementation of the new freight-matching engine architecture deployed to production on Kubernetes running in AWS EKS.
- As part of a special “SWAT” team, implemented a proof-of-concept port of the company's load board database to AWS-based products (Kinesis, Aurora, Lambda) leveraging code-generation based on input from Swagger API contract definitions to accelerate delivery of database schema and access classes for the complex data model required.
- Worked with a “community of practice” of principal engineers and team leads to architect a standard for REST API design for both public-facing and internal APIs.
- Researched alternative platforms to NodeJS for performance-critical sections of the freight matching engine, including Golang and Kotlin with a transition plan to Kotlin Native when it reaches maturiy.
- Developed a Kotlin language PoC to prove viability of deploying server-side Kotlin code through the established CI/CD pipeline.
- Developed a template Koa microservice project including a lightweight self-configuring router, establishing best practices for microservice development at DAT.
- Contributed to the development of the company's groundbreaking freight-tracking product OnTime by implementing a complex “smart sort” algorithm and refactoring critical sections in the product's ORM code for better maintainability and performance.
Services Developer III
Cambia Health Solutions is a family of over 20 health care companies.
- Architected and implemented multiple Node.js-based microservices end-to-end including email-sending and authentication services now in use companywide.
- Implemented EMR-based large-volume ("big data") consumer messaging pipline.
- Architected and implemented multiple scheduled data consumer data synchronization processes as pure Node.js applications.
- Architected and implemented multiple large-scale production data transformation processes in Node.js.
- Developed workarounds for logging solutions in EMR clusters with restricted S3 access.
- Developed an in-house framework for running Node.js jobs on persistent EMR clusters with restricted security parameters.
- Developed production logging system for incompletely-configured AWS environment.
- Navigated complex inter-organizational structure to architect and implement a realtime telephony event pipeline.
- Built for my team a library of node modules to share common code among projects including promise utility functions, a web services client optimized for our environment.
Cloud Four is a design and development agency focused on responsive web design and the mobile web.
Implemented a custom editable-monolithic-output build system for the order page of a top-five US retailer's ecommerce site. Performed feature implementation for the same order page. Created a gulp-based build environment for developing and delivering web design pattern libraries and prototype sites. Researched new and existing development tools and shared some of this research on company blog. Maintained boxen-based development environment installations companywide. Maintained custom static site build scripts for the company's main web site. Interviewed potential candidates for expanding the design and development teams. Participated in internal design sketching sessions and element collage evaluations. Set up and maintained local development instances of the Walmart ecommerce frontend, including in-depth configuration and debugging of Apache and Tomcat, diagnosing API connectivity issues, and maintenance of the cart-checkout mock API server code. Supported co-workers (technical and nontechnical) in diagnosing build script and configuration issues with the Walmart development environment. Performed feature work, defect resolution, and responsive web design conversion on multiple areas of Walmart's e-commerce frontend including item page, order summary, payment and shipping options, and other areas.
Lead Software Engineer
Avocado was the developer of Avocado (a mobile app that helps couples organize their lives) and Pears (the social network for couples) which was used in over 60 countries.
Developed major features of the Pears desktop and mobile sites, including offline notifications, email digest handling, location-based search, and the real-time websocket-based comment system; contributed to feature development and maintenance of the Avocado web and Android apps; and performed in-depth devops tasks (server recovery, SSL certificate management, corrupt user account recovery).
Lead Software Engineer
Instructables is a division of Autodesk and a centerpiece of the DIY/Maker community.
Lead development of the Instructables Android app with over 500,000 downloads on the Google Play store, developed features for and maintained the existing Java based Instructables.com site, contributed to framework-level development of the new Python/Django-based Instructables.com, and mentored interns and permanent team members.
Senior Software Engineer, Front End
Yahoo! is one of the top five web destinations. I worked with the Contacts team, which became thought leaders within the company in our implementation of Kanban+Agile development methodology.
Senior Software Engineer
A worldwide social network and gaming site with over sixty million active users in 2009.
Senior Software Engineer
A strategic consulting and IT services company with expertise in GIS, web technology, and business process engineering.
Built demographic microtargetting application using Flex and Cairngorm and a LAMP/AMFPHP backend dealing with ten million plus record datasets as part of a three person team, developed AJAX application suite and attendant RESTful web services environment advancing the company's bid toward successfully winning the contract competition for a $1 million US Air Force SBIR, lead technical development in the refactor of the right-of-way permitting system for the City of San Antonio from old style EJB to modern J2EE application, implemented new permitting workflow using JSF and OpenLayers.
Software Applications Development Engineer
The MITRE Corporation operates four federally funded research and development centers.
Built suite of web applications with rich AJAX-based UI and Spring/Hibernate/PostgreSQL backend to modernize US Coast Guard command center operations, integrated US Coast Guard applications by building rich Google Maps application with historical data and realtime situation updates, implemented Python daemon to monitor event output from Snort/Barnyard which qualified the six person SIMEN initiative to take part in multiple international military operational exercises, redesigned static monitoring web application into real-time, sponsor-facing interface using Django, mentored three technical cooperative education students in web application development.
Software Engineer II
A clinical information systems developer specializing in electronic charge capture and point-of-care solutions. During my employment they were a VC-funded startup.
Designed and implemented the prototype user interface for the company's clinical informatics product and transitioned company's server product from NewAtlanta ServletExec to Apache Tomcat.
- Unpacking Module Bundlers (Cloud Four Company Blog)
- You Shall Replace Them with a Very Small Shell Script (Talk given at the Portland Linux User Group's Advanced Topics meeting)
- Maintainer of TaskNC, an ncurses wrapper for the Taskwarrior TODO management tool.
- lsh-bin: The collection of shop-built jigs that helps me be more effective.
- Automataic Gardner: Conway's Game of Life, gamified. A pure HTML5 meditation on growth.
- Arm-E: Meggy Jr. RGB game and lightweight game engine in C++ for AVR microcontroller based embedded platforms.
- Southern New Hampshire University, Nashua, NH, Public Speaking (Course), 2007
- MITRE Institute, Bedford, MA, Designing for People, Human Factors (Course), 2006
- Northeastern University, College of Computer Science, Boston, MA, Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Metaphysics Concentration, Cum Laude, 2003